Cancer’ is considered a stigma word. One can forget that it not contagious however, it is believed that cancer spreads. And thus is looked at differently or is ostracized. Cancer is not the end of the road, because there is a hope that both the cancer patient and the people around are ready to help.
This is precisely what the World Cancer Day theme ‘I Am And I Will’ addresses. The campaign that began in 2019 is an empowering call-to-action that urges personal commitment and represents the power of individual action taken at the present time so that it impacts the future. This campaign is built to resonate, to inspire the change and to mobilize the action long after the day has passed.
It can be said that there are many ways to reduce cancer. People with cancer always have a hope to be healed with a healthy lifestyle. It is said that you can reduce the risk of many common cancers such as bowel, breast, uterine, ovarian, oesophagus, kidney and liver by maintaining healthy weight, eating right and making physical activity a part of your daily routine.
‘I Am And I Will’ this theme indicates that, as an individual or as an organization, it is important to get involved in any way you can. Because together, a change can be created. All you can do is:
- Get Personal: Create a social media post for yourself with a strong commitment and share it with the world.
- Light up the World: Make a significant statement on this world cancer day in the colours of orange and blue in your city.
- Spread the word:Write a blog or an article or send a video message.
- Join the action:Join by showing up at an event near you and volunteer.
- Create your own Event:Inspire others by hosting your own World Cancer Day event. From flash mobs, free screenings, record breaking attempts, conferences, fundraisers to fun runs.
- One and all can get Involved:Whoever you are- a cancer survivor, co-worker, a care giver, a friend, a leader, a health worker, a teacher or a student- you have the power to take action for a cancer free world.
Together let’s do our bit. #IAmAndIWill
Let’s make a lasting impact this World Cancer Day on Feb 4th bringing in a progressive and a positive change within the society and the community we live in.