BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR
All you wanted to know about cancer.
You may find that physical, psychosocial or financial concerns continue because of cancer treatments. Patients often call this the “new normal.”
Breast Cancer Survivorship Clinic can help develop a plan for your ongoing health care. You will receive care based on specific guidelines designed for survivors just like you who have been treated.
The clinic addresses your physical and psychosocial care. They:
- ♦ Review your recent medical history and perform a physical examination
- ♦ Conduct a complete assessment to detect cancer recurrence or progression
- ♦ Identify and help manage side effects of cancer and treatment
- ♦ Develop a treatment summary and follow-up care plan
- ♦ Provide education and referrals related to:
- Cancer screening examinations
- Health behaviors that reduce cancer risk
Side Effects & Symptoms
The survivorship clinic specializes in identifying and treating late side effects, which are symptoms that may appear months or years after treatment has ended. The physical changes will depend on your cancer type and treatment.
Side effects and symptoms you may experience include:
- ♦ Lymph edema (swelling of the arm)
- ♦ Osteoporosis (low bone mass that results in weak bones that break easily)
- ♦ Menopausal symptoms
- ♦ Changes in fertility and sexuality
- ♦ Fatigue